Wednesday, 25 February 2015

The Collection Jars // Kids Activity



When both kids are sick with terrible colds, including non-stop coughs and runny noses that kept the entire house up through two nights, boy does time tick tick  tick  t  i  c  k   t    i    c    k that next day. That was our house a few nights ago. After I'd run through entertaining them with the usual list of toys and games and it was only 10am, it was time to get more creative. The thing is, I was exhausted! I didn't have the energy to pull out the big box of arts and crafts so I needed a simple activity.

I ended up pulling down a small jar of items that I've been collecting over the last ten+ years. The jar contains seashells from the shores of the Algarve, Galway, Cape Cod and Florida. There is colorful sea glass I'd discovered along Lake Michigan and Rhode Island's coastline. The contents of the jar instantly transported me back to Bermuda where my husband laughed at my ability to walk a beach at nearly a 90 degree angle, as I scoured the sands for bits of coral to add to my collection. And then there were some of my more recent discoveries, including a few interesting rocks and shells found at local spots like Killiney & Bray beaches. 

Love those little hands, digging through the contents





While I enjoyed reminiscing, the kids dug through the jar, happily inspecting and separating every piece. It was a nice, simple way to spend an hour of our morning and an easy enough activity to distract from the kids most recent addiction... watching Kinder Eggs being opened on YouTube! (Seriously, kids' obsession with Kinder Egg videos on YouTube should have its own blog post)

Once the jar was packed up and placed back on top of its shelf, I thought more about the jar and another memory soon came to me. This one wasn't of exotic travels in foreign lands though. No, this memory brought me right back to my childhood home in Burrillville, RI. One of my most favourite activities from when I was a young girl was sifting through the contents of my mother's wooden button box. My sister and I would pick out our favorite buttons, sorting them by size, shape and color. I can still remember some of those gorgeous vintage pieces so clearly. That box was (and still is!!) a little treasure chest, filled with many memories that I hold so dear. And perhaps, as I continue to add to my own collection and occasionally take the jar out for the kids to look through, my children will someday reminisce of their mom's little treasure trove too! It's nice to have these sort of simple activities to include in the roundup, especially knowing how easy it was and how much pleasure the three of us got out of it.

What kind of rainy day activities do you enjoy with your children? Are there any activities that are inspired from your childhood? 

Need another idea to keep your kids busy? Why not try making these simple Salt Dough Hearts


5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of these Kinder Eggs on YouTube....now I can't seem to turn them off??? What is that about? Great jar of goodies, it's a great way to pass sometime and talk about why you picked what you did. Kids were just going through my rock collection the other day trying to see into the ones with holes looking for the little people living in there! It's a great way to get them into future treasure hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those videos are mesmerizing & so addictive! Be careful- haha! But I was thinking about doing my own version for a game for the kids. Might have to put it on here :) I'll also be bringing plenty of kinder eggs for Easter, to spread the chocolate egg love around!

      Delete
  2. I used to love playing with my Mem's buttons! I still have a button obsession today, most likely because of that tin full of buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Jesst! I'm actually so looking forward to our next RI visit so that I can pull out mom's buttons- both the kids and I will love looking!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...