Wednesday, 17 June 2015

DIY Display Shelf // Kids' Bedroom Details


A quick browse on my Pinterest page will tell you that 1. I spend far too much time browsing the internet and 2. that I have a bit of an affinity for children's rooms. I love the decor, bedding, accessories and all the special details that go into designing a kid's space. 

My two children share a bedroom. Their space is a converted attic, so there is a decent amount of room for the two beds along with some toys and a reading nook too. With two skylights, the bright room experiences loads of natural light, and it has easily become my favourite room in the house.  



There are many things I love about this room, especially the artwork hung above Emme's bed. On the surface, it might look like a bit of a mishmash, but each piece is quite meaningful to us!
  • Ladybug Print by Rifle Paper Co. (Emme is her Grandma's little bug)
  • Mick Jagger image found on Google images ("Jagger" is Emme's middle name)
  • Happy Girls Print by The Painted Arrow (because it's gorgeous!)
  • Handpainted "Emme" Print by Elizabeth Dixon at ejd design  (her Instagram Hashtag)
  • Changeable Letter Banner Kit from npw (fun to change out the sayings)
I'm always on the lookout for ways to add to or improve on the room and recently I've had my eye on the most gorgeous acrylic doll house from Mint Rhapsody.  This doll house would be an amazing addition to the bedroom. The only problem with this one is that it's a wee bit pricey! So a bit more searching online and I discovered this other really cool acrylic house on Etsy. While this one is more in my price range, it wouldn't solve the hanging display piece I was hoping to find. Lucky for me, I see every bit of product packaging and would-be trash as potential craft supplies ! :) 

In February my husband was in London and brought back diecast cars as gifts for the kids. The kids were delighted with their presents, and I kept the clear plastic packaging aside in our rainy day box. And more recently, a friend gifted me a box of the most delicious candy treats from Sugarfina, similar to this Bringing Home the Bacon giftset. (Seriously, how bad do you want to indulge in that trio of delectable sweets right now?!)  I've held onto the three acrylic cubes since the candies' sweet departure. With these different sizes clear boxes on hand, I set out to create my own version of an acrylic display doll house. 


Supplies Needed:
Different sized clear boxes
Paper (to line boxes with)
Scissors
Washi Tape
Pencil

Directions:
1. Clean your boxes of any fingerprints or glue residue.
2. Arrange your boxes in a manner you are pleased with. I arranged the 4 boxes to create an indoor house and an outdoor scene.


3. Choose paper to be used as your background. I selected a mix of plain pastels and a print from a page from an old children's book to compliment the existing artwork on the wall. 


4. Using the pencil, trace the boxes onto the paper for each backdrop. 


5. Using the scissors, cut your shapes out. 
6. Arrange the boxes with their paper backgrounds to confirm your layout. 


7. Remove paper from boxes and following the basic instructions listed on the 3M Command strip packaging, affix the strips to the back of the boxes and then onto the wall. 


8. Line the boxes with their corresponding paper backgrounds. Depending on the weight of your paper, you may need to use a small piece of Scotch tape on the back to prevent the paper from falling over. 
9. Use the Washi tape to decorate, like adding a "roof".
10. Display miniature toys or other lightweight items. 


This was a project that was very easy to assemble, fun to display, and apart from the 3M Strips which I already had in my supply kit, this was a free project to make. I love recycled projects! But most of all, I loved seeing my daughter's thrilled reaction as she jumped up and down on her bed yelling "Oh wow, I LOVE it SO much"! You can't go wrong when the kids' are happy ;) 

What do you think of this project? I'd love to hear your feedback and as always, I look forward to your review in the comment section below! Happy crafting! 


8 comments:

  1. I love that idea! Recycling at work....it's why EVERYTHING must be saved! Really though that was a great idea and I think I'll start to take a look at what I have "stored" away for a project like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to pick out a few crafty bits from your stash!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Excellent idea, love the thought of recycling! It always feels good, especially when your child approves! The set up is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Emme is most definitely loving the new addition!

      Delete
  3. Amazing idea!! Can't wait for the remodel into an acrylic mansion ha! Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it... thinking bigger already!

      Delete
  4. Your children's bedroom looks so adorable. I love the idea that you shared about creating a shelf, because it's easy to do and the materials are easy to find. It's very stylish too. This will really come in handy. Thanks for sharing, Erin! :)


    Helene Raymond @ Trade Squad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Helene! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to check out Pies & Gents and I look forward to seeing your projects :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...